Alan's Room With A View

Friday, December 30, 2005

Beginnings

I have always considered myself a person of the mind. I seem to comprehend the ideas and questions of life without much difficulty. I work in the technical world of steel and construction conceptualizing drawings and ideas and visualizing how the steel framework would come together in order to set a value on the materials that would go into the project. I have had training as a draftsman which has aided me through the years. It is now time in my life where I once again look at the world about me and set it to paper in a more creative way. The only difference is I won't be using straight edges and architect scales to do this work but allow my hand to draw it freely on the chosen surface. My work may be crude at first, but I hope to see it mature. Laugh if you must, at what you see. I only ask that you see the images that will appear here for what they are, a journey not a destination.

7 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Karen Winters said...

Welcome Alan, and thanks for inviting us to your new space. I'm in my mid-late 50s too (just had a birthday a few days ago) and I believe it's never too late to start. The journey is worth the effort as I know you'll discover.

Karen
http://www.karensblog.com

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Kathleen Marie said...

Yellow sticky notes work for me. It is wonderful that you are pursuing your art passion! Welcome to the EDM group. :)

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Lin said...

WONDERFUL sketch, Alan!! I'm in my late 50s ... geez it's going fast! and just learning to sketch (6 months!! YEAH) Keep up the great work!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Cin said...

Hi Alan, yay for starting drawing journeys, I hope for you (and me too) that it is neverending!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Felicity said...

I'm not going to laugh, I think you are very brave (not to be taken as an insult because I think your sketch is great!) Good luck on your new adventure!

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger Marie-Dom said...

I'm not laughing... I'm admiring. Good on you, and I look forward to seeing where you go with your passion. I understand your need to move away from the controlled to the creative/free side of things. I'm moving around that space too at the moment and drumming my heels with frustration!LOL!
happy New Year.
MD

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Rayna said...

Oh, Alan, it is all a journey! I just started on my sketching path and it is quite an adventure for a fiber artist who has never drawn. This is a wonderful group - nobody laughs at MY drawings, so you are on safe ground. Anything goes - we all have our own ways of seeing and ways of recording what we see. How enriching!
Rayna
http://www.studio78.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home